Skip to content
Trains and mule rides are only available at the South Rim National Park.
- The mules are stabled at the Grand Canyon Village at the South Rim.
- The mules carry guests to the Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon.
- The Grand Canyon Railroad Depot is in Williams, Arizona, at I-40.
- In the early days, the Grand Canyon at the South Rim was available to visitors by horse trails that later became a dirt road, or by the train.
- The road was improved over time, and the railroad became less popular and was actually closed for some time.
- The train leaves the station at Williams in the morning and arrives at the Grand Canyon Village station near El Tovar Hotel before noon.
- The train leaves Grand Canyon Village at about 3pm for its return to Williams.
- You can ride the train from Williams to Grand Canyon Village as a day trip, or coordinate it with an overnight stay at one of the lodges at or near the Grand Canyon Village.
- The shuttle bus system will get you and your luggage from the train station at the village to your lodging, and then you can return to Williams on the train the next day.